Monday, April 21, 2014

Happy (late) Easter!

Feliz dia de Pascua!!! (a day late) :)

I hope you all had a great Easter Sunday/weekend. So first off like, obviously Easter isn't about all the froofy stuff like eggs, food, friends, family etc... but it is nice to have lol. And when you're a missionary, holidays really kinda blow. Lo siento, but they do. And if you've ever served a mission, you know its true. HOWEVER, that's not what Easter is about. Easter is about remembering the greatest sacrifice any one has ever done EVER. When Christ suffered, and died, and resurrected for US, to be able to repent, and live again. Oh man, I can't even handle the Atonement. It's so powerful, and so amazing. The more I learn about the Atonement, and how to use it in my life, the more I grow to love my Savior in ways I didn't think were possible. I didn't think my love for the Lord could grow more, but it has. Last Monday, our mission president extended a mission wide invitation to start reading a simple, paper-back Book of Mormon all the way through, but concentrating solely on the Atonement. I can't tell you how many times I have read first Nephi. Like literally probably a billion haha.  Because lets be real, we all want to read the BOM all the way through, and then you start from the beginning, and then you lose your place or you forgot what you read, and then you start again, and then it just keeps happening. It's a vicious cycle. Maybe you are all much more diligent than I am, but its happened to me more times than I can count lol. The key is just to read everyday, so then you know exactly where you are haha. Anyway...so, this time with a specific focus in mind, I have been reading the Book of Mormon in a completely different light. I'm also reading in Mosiah (en espaƱol) because I've never read the BOM all the way through in Spanish before, and I'm in Exodus (in English) because I've never read the Old Testament all the way through before either, so I have three different assignments right now, and ever since I've begun focusing on the Atonement while reading, I see it everywhere!! It's literally alluded to, or prophesied, or explained in almost every chapter of every book I read. It's amazing! I feel like I have this new found desire to know EVERYTHING about the scriptures and our history! Because seriously you guys, the Bible, and the Book of Mormon are like history books. I used to read to just read, because I was told to, and because I knew I needed to, but I didn't really enjoy them. Now, its like I have this constant urgency, like a hunger, to LEARN! More and more, I seriously can't get enough. I know, most of you are like, DUH. The scriptures are amazing!! It took me 26 years, and for God to get me to go on a mission, but I finally get it. I plan on learning more and more the rest of my life, never letting go of that hunger, and sharing it with others, friends, family, and my future family. So, I would like to invite you to take on this same challenge. Find an unmarked Book of Mormon, and pray to search and see the Atonement in scriptures you had never associated it with. I can promise you that it will immensely bless your life and will help you to grow your testimony and draw closer to the Lord. :) *my job is to invite others to grow closer to Christ, and you guys count too :)

Any-who, this week was really good. We spent a lot of time contacting referrals and got a new investigator out of it!! Technically we would have had three, because we had three rocking powerful first lessons, but we are girls, and so we can't teach single men. So those contacts are always referred to the Elders. But its okay, what goes around comes around :) They find awesome women and refer them to us, and we find awesome men that want to learn, and we refer them to them. Yesterday was the first Sunday we didn't have a baptism in our ward for 5 weeks! haha Crazy! It was bittersweet. Sad because we love bringing people to the gospel, but happy because because as you've read, baptisms can be kinda stressful lol. We have two more baptisms before the transfer is up though! Two on may 4th (hopefully) We might only have one, but we'll see. Whatever the Lord wants to happen, will happen. Church was really great yesterday, so many great lessons on the Atonement. Our dinner appointment cancelled so that was sad because we didn't have anywhere to go on Easter Sunday, but even though they cancelled, they still were kind enough to make us dinner, so we took it home and invited the Elders because their appt cancelled too, so we had our own little dinner on our balcony. Then we went out contacting, unfortunately, it was Easter, and people don't really want the missionaries over on holidays, so when we got a text back from a less active member to join them for an egg hunt we almost started to cry. It was SO fun! Texas has these "confetti eggs" that are just dyed eggs full of confetti, but they're hilarious because the point of them is to crack them on people's heads. Oh my gosh, I was dying. It was hilarious. We're going to try to see if we can make some today and then chuck them at the Elders later :) #theonlyfunwecanhave haha Anyway, it ended up being a really good day :)

This week we have lots of appointments lined up, and a service activity on Saturday, AND a talent show in our ward!! All the missionaries are doing a skit, so it should be interesting. haha It's going to be a great week! I'm getting so bummed though because we are in week 5!!! Only two more weeks of the transfer! It has literally flown by! It's crazy! And we're pretty sure my comp is leaving me :((( Please pray I don't get a crazy companion. I mean, I can handle a lot, but there are a lot of crazies out there. haha jk, I'm sure we'll love each other!!

I pray you all accept the Atonement challenge and have a great week! I love you all!!!

p.s. my mailbox is still accepting letters ;) 

Con mucho amor,

Hermana Carbajal

10221 Centrepark Dr. #926
Houston, TX 77043

No comments:

Post a Comment