Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Another year older, another year wiser...

Jk I don't really feel like I'm that wise. Except in the past year I have learned I am literally nothing without God. I cannot do anything without Him and anyone who thinks they can is literally an idiot. haha But seriously... that is probably the biggest lesson I've learned in these grand 27 years of life. I'm not going to lie, I def freaked out, I mean, who in their right mind ever thinks they'll sail into their late 20's  on a mission??? Definitely not me!!! haha, oh man, I still can't believe it. Anyway, it happened and if it hadn't been for the bestest friend in the entire freaking world for basically sending me Hawaii in a box, and for my family being the best family ever, for the blessing of an amazing companion, a rad district, and an even better ward with members that love us, I would have been having a rough time :)
I started off my day with waking up at 6:30 am to go get my free Denny's breakfast because DUH, I'm a missionary and I'm poor, and free food is my friend. Don't worry, it was closed. ha #storyofmylife Welp, then we went to Ihop, my back up plan and got a free Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity, whatever that means because I'm pretty sure the fruit was canned and jarred 8 years ago. Anyways.. my comp and I shared because I could only eat half the meal due to all the gluten-ness. So we did that, came home, studied, took a birthday nap :) Then had a lunch with all the elders in my district at Chick-fil-a and don't worry that we had an Ariel Party with Ariel plates, napkins, a table topper, and GF cupcakes. It was the best ever.  My mission president called to wish me a happy birthday and so did everyone else in the mission office. At first when I saw all these calls, I was like what the?? What did I do? Oh my gosh, I'm going home!! haha nope... they just called to wish me a happy birthday! Silly people. lol. We went right to work after lunch and don't worry that every appointment we had set up had a "birthday meal" awaiting me complete with cake and ice cream. Oh man, it was a rough day for my tummy, but I've never felt so loved. Then our ACTUAL dinner appointment was at an Hermana's house and she made her special "Birthday tacos". Holy freaking crap, they are literally the best things I have EVER had in my life. I ate six!! I NEVER eat that many tacos. They were amazing. I learned how to make them and I will make them for everyone at home! All the elders came too with their "gifts" which included "over the hill" cards and "how are you not dead yet?" cards, uh huh... real sweet. Stupid 18 year olds. haha Anyway, it was a really great day. I felt SO blessed, and was so happy to see that so many people cared and loved me here. I mean, that's obviously not what a mission is about, I'm not here to be best friends with everyone and be the member's favorite missionary, but it was really, really sweet to see they remembered my day and were so kind and genuine about it, so yeah... that's how I started 27 :)

There was one more little thing that happened on my birthday... Daniella committed to baptism and she is getting BAPTIZED this Sunday!! ahhhhhhh. I literally started screaming. That was my birthday wish! She was like dying because I was actually screaming. haha. I still can't believe it. She went through something so horrible, her family being torn apart, but the Lord is always aware of us, and I don't know if this was the only way she could be baptized, but it felt like the right time. She prayed about her date and she told us may 25th was the day! We weren't going to argue with that!! AHHH bendiciones!!! Soooo yeah, that was amazing :)

Tomorrow we have zone meeting, and we're already half way done with this transfer!! I can't even believe how fast transfers go now! I have been a missionary for almost four months and it's flying by!!! This experience is so crazy and so amazing. Sometimes I'm still blown away when I think about why I'm here and what I'm doing. Whenever we meet new people they're like "wow, you really leave your family for 18 months/ 2 years and only talk to them twice a year?? That's so crazy!! You seem so normal!!" I'm always like, yeah it is freaking crazy, I still can't believe I agreed to it... haha But the blessings trump the sacrifices 150%! I am so grateful for every day I have here, and hope to be in this area for a few more months. I am NOT ready to leave yet! 

I hope you all have a great week and remember that you are a child of God, and that for every sacrifice you make, He will bless you tenfold :)

Les Amo!!!

p.s. I'm still accepting belated birthday cards :D

Hermana Carbajal


1 comment:

  1. Hermana!!! Just wanted to wish you a B-lated happy birthday. You are awesome! I love reading about your mission. Keep up the good work! We all love and miss you here. XOXO Steph Hennings

    ReplyDelete