Wednesday, June 3, 2015

From The Woodlands to the Hoodlums

So, it finally happened. I was transferred from my beloved Woodlands, all the way down to the most southern part of my mission...THE HEIGHTS!!! I am in the most sketchy, ratchet, non-safe part of our mission and I LOVE IT! haha. Our area is really big for a city area, and we live in a super nice area bordering Downtown Houston. We cover a spanish ward AND an english ward. It's weird, I'm not going to lie. Especially because it's not a normal english ward. haha It's an inter-city ward, so... it has some interesting characters, to say the least. haha It is going to/ and has already been an adventure. Also, my new companion is the BEST!! I have literally wanted her to be my last companion since she was a new missionary!! haha Her name is Hermana Andrea Marlowe. She is 20, from Boise, Idaho, and is just amazing! I wouldn't want anyone else to kill me off :D

Last night was probably the craziest night of my life. If you haven't heard, Houston had some serious flash floods last night, and I just happened to be right in the middle of it. My companion and I were leaving an appt at 9:30 and it was POURING outside, but it wasn't really surprising because it rains here allll the time, so it didn't seem abnormal. Plus, it floods here in like five seconds, so we didn't really take it seriously. However, when we got on the freeway and were driving 5 mph and felt like were underwater is when we started to panic. It was so scary, but the Lord brought us home. We were a little shaken up but we still didn't realize the gravity of the rain. We live right next to the Buffalo Bayou, a river right by downtown and it was starting to overfill so that was a precedent to what was happening, but that was just the beginning. We got a call at 11:30 pm from the Zone Leaders telling us two sets of Elders had gotten stuck in the floods. One companionship literally had to crawl out of their windows on top of the car to get out. The other companionship had water flood waist high inside their car and got out just in time before it completely sunk. It was out of control!! This morning we had to go to a mission wide conference and as we were on our way there we saw hundreds of cars abandoned on the streets, and sunk in water ON THE FREEWAY! There were rescue helicopters with people propelling out to search for people missing. I mean, I can't even explain what it was like. It literally looked like a zombie apocalypse. It was unreal. To our knowledge there are still 30 people missing, and 2 people found dead. They've drained most of the water, so hopefully we'll be okay from here on out. Please pray for Houston and for all the people that were affected, and that the rain will go somewhere else!! :)

I also had another unfortunate event happen this past week. Some of you may already know, but my father passed away this weekend. It was a complete shock, and it was something that I did not anticipate happening while I was on my mission. Many of you may also know, that my father and I did not have a very close relationship, however, it was still hard on me. I am a very private person and do not usually disclose this kind of information but I felt as though it was something  I needed to share. When I found out, I had so many emotions I didn't know which one to express. I spent the night crying, reading the scriptures, and praying to my Heavenly Father. The next morning, I was able to go to the temple and reflect on everything that had happened and on my relationship with him. I felt an overwhelming peace and knew that the Lord was aware of me and my situation. I also knew that he was aware of my father and that everything was going to be okay. These past 17 months have been focused on nothing more than the great plan our loving and merciful Heavenly Father has for us. That plan teaches us that this life is a blink of an eye in the eyes of the Lord, and that there is so much more to come. His gospel in this plan of salvation teaches us these principles and how to strengthen our faith and confidence in Him. Although my father was not involved in most of my life, he was still my father and I was still grateful for him.

My testimony in my Savior, Jesus Christ, and in my loving Heavenly Father grows deeper and stronger each and every day. We never know what lies ahead of us each day, all we can do is try to do the best we can with what we can control. We have the ability to live the best we can, follow the example of Jesus Christ, live his gospel, and endure to the end. I know He has a plan for me, and that plan goes further than just here on my mission in Houston. That is why I will serve as hard as I can until my days are done on this earth. Because it's worth it. All of it.

I am grateful for all of you and hope you feel the same love Christ feels for you, and if not.... find it :) He is waiting for you.

I love you all with all my heart, and will be seeing you very soon :) #5weeks

Hermana Carbajal

New address:
404 Oxford St. #2206
Houston, Tx 77007

No comments:

Post a Comment